I understand the true value of doing business with people over a long period of time and the importance of developing strong partnerships.
My greatest strength is building relationships. I understand the true value of doing business with people over a long period of time and the importance of developing strong partnerships. PR has taught me the ability to multi-task, be organised and ensure all of the facts and details are accounted for, to remain calm in pressured situations but most importantly, to listen.
With a Bachelor of Commerce majoring in Accounting from Otago University I have strong financial and analytical skills and an appreciation for Speights!
I’m experienced in managing risk and all aspects of media relations including press releases, briefings and staff training.
Prior to starting my PR business, I was responsible for all internal and external communications at House of Travel for almost five years and earlier at Westpac where I looked after all strategic PR and establishing a profile in the New Zealand market for the chief executive at the time, Ann Sherry.
In all of my roles there has been a significant amount of risk management advice and strategy required.
Before my switch to communications I held several senior roles in various sectors including sport and recreation, not-for-profit and retail. I also taught accounting, economics and maths at secondary school level and practised accountancy for several years while completing my degree part-time.
I have a Diploma of Secondary School Teaching and am an Associate of the New Zealand Speech Board, qualified to teach public speaking, communication, speech and drama. I was appointed to the board of the Vodafone Warriors in February 2016 and resigned in accordance with the sale of the club in May 2018.
What else you should know about Niki
- My husband, Ed and I have two adult children Anna and Alex
- My nickname is Niki Piki Milo
- If I didn’t work I’d take more photos, volunteer more, propagate more natives, and practice yoga daily
- Family and friends are very important to me
- Waiheke Island and Wanaka hold special places in my heart
- I love to travel, Antarctica in 2013 with Ed and my Mum was a dream come true
- I’m passionate about being healthy and fit, I’m highly competitive and I love to win
- I love a long gin and tonic with lime and mint on a hot summer’s day!
- My favourite colour is yellow
- I’ve never been one to sit back and wait, being proactive is in my blood
- I am allergic to mushrooms and the result is not pretty!
- I hate cooking and consequently avoid it as much as possible but I can sew and have made several patchwork quilts and clothes for Anna and Alex until they became aware of ‘labels’
- I worry about the environment and try to educate someone every day about the little things we can do
- I have a fear of swimming in the sea but love a challenge so trained and swum from Rangitoto to St Heliers (4.6kms), with no panic attacks, in a time of 1.28
- I love to smile and to laugh out loud is even better
- One day I want to learn how to meditate